Minutes of the Spring Meeting of the Heartland Chapter of the American Society for Indexing May 12, 2012 MCL Cafeteria, Indianapolis, IN
John Bealle presented, “Build Your Website with HTML.” John uses jEdit for syntax highlighting. Entering something that is not ASCII text requires you to use a character set. Webmonkey has a list of character set combinations to put in whatever character that would not be allowed using HTML.
Carol Reed showcased the changes she had made to the Heartland chapter website using Weebly, a WYSIWYG editor. Weebly is free and the hosting of the Heartland chapter is free. She found reviews about this tool on CNET.com.
Judy McConville presented using InDesign software to create indexes. This is not the easiest tool to use but another skill that can provide jobs.
Margie Towery reported her experiences at San Diego, ASI conference, noting some issues with the hotel and schedule for seminar sessions.
Junior Co-President: Meridith Murray opened the meeting at 4:10 p.m. The Business meeting was called to order. Secretary read the minutes from the fall, 2011 meeting. Laura Ewald seconded the motion to approve the minutes. [The name of the person who moved to approve the minutes was not recorded.]
Senior Co-President: Margaret Hentz used the listing of libraries in Indiana, Michigan and Illinois to post our chapter and send them a brochure. For all her efforts, there appeared to be no membership increase. She will mail some brochures now that they have created a new one and send them to the library schools. She will continue with ongoing marketing. Membership was not updated correctly--was 39 for 2011 and we are at 33 now. We will continue to have the quality of programs presented here.
Our low membership caused some issues for the nominating committee. They were unable to get any people to run for office. Meridith continues to serve so Margaret also offered to run again. It does involve effort but it is only two times a year. Marilyn and John have been officers. Devon compiled some tips on what works as help for the chapter. Meridith said, “He who leaves office is the most qualified to serve in that role.”
Thanks to Sharon for the wonderful desserts and to Meridith for putting this program together.
The Fall meeting will be sometime in October or November. We will schedule a different time than the Chicago chapter who already have their fall dates set for October. Sharon has already offered to do a program, Who is Your Audience? Diana Witt does a presentation on time management and we hope to schedule her. Meridith talked with Margie Towery about the Wilson evaluation process and how to conduct a peer evaluation. Some time ago they did a peer review of the same pages of a book to explain and contrast their process and thinking. Marilyn Augst said in the past they had done a one hour session. Sharon mentioned the topic of how to create a good strong entry. Examples of what a good index is and how it is thought out is another idea for a program. Meridith mentioned we might have a round table discussion of what happened to you in business and how you deal with issues. She related an instance of a contact that she had with a person. She contacted someone who had indicated a need for her to index a book but he never replied. We could each write out a situation and put it in a jar. Margie related a session held at the ASI conference about ethics in indexing. Also the situation is changing in dealing with clients and would be another good program. Meredith mentioned Judy McConville’s marketing insights could be another topic. Maybe in the spring we could work together and not host a structured program as such. Please give Meredith any ideas.
The Chicago workshop will be held October 26–27. They will have a Cindex review and Dave Ream will talk about updates on ebook indexing. Sandy Topping (secretary) said the weekends in Chicago are very good and they arrange dinners out. They host them in a nice hotel.
Meredith said we could alternate our meetings in the fall at Richmond and Spring in Indy.
Sandy said the voting had some problems but 17 votes were cast. Meridith Murray was voted Junior Co-President, Margaret Hentz was voted Senior Co-President and Cherry Delaney was voted Secretary. We don’t know the names of those who voted. They have to be members of ASI in order to vote. Margie said there was nothing in our bylaws saying there has to be so many people who voted. Sandy sent out a reminder email to vote. The reminder email did not include the link to take you to the vote site, on purpose.
Website and newsletter: Carol Reed gave the URL for the new website and the cost of $11.99 for hosting it. The website is clean and accessible. John Bealle, Laura Ewald, Paula McCoy, and several others helped make improvements. Structure and content include the newsletter. The join tab helps make it easy to join. We could do our own indexer listing if our website remains independent of the ASI website. The question arose about using hosting the Heartland site through ASI. Judy McConville had some issues helping update one of the SIG websites. We don’t think that we can have our own listing of web indexers and still be listed on the ASI website. We should hold off maybe doing our own until this is decided. They use a template but there is a time factor between working with the ASI person and Judy or whoever. Carol – lets discuss on the email list how to list our member indexers – photos, no photos, email, etc.
There continue to be many improvements. She needs help to share the maintenance. The newsletter will come out in a few weeks. Carol plans to have it out the first week of June. She is looking for articles. This is a great way to increase your web presence. Margie wanted a review of the new “Names” book included. Sharon went to the session and could write an article, with a little pressure. If you have ideas for an article, send them to Carol. She would like to have highlights of the conference in the newsletter. She will email us to hear from us about the conference. Send photos too!!
Policies and Procedures of updates: Shelley Quattrocchi - All references were changed to clean things up. She changed things to be consistent. Under the newsletter they changed that to deliver by internet. Voting by email. Margaret thanked Marilyn and Shellie for reviewing this. She asked that they email it to everyone or place it on the yahoo group. Margie said they would need to place the document on Yahoo. We will vote on the finalized version in the Fall meeting.
Laura said there is a copy of the new brochure that she worked on. All the URL’s are changed to be accurate. The updated brochure has been added to the website.
We need to think about a tentative date for our fall meeting. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary this year. Margaret thought we should celebrate with cake. We might want a raffle for a basket or something and give the money to a charity – like a literacy group. We might have a mug as an item. Cathy Seckman is interested in working on this. Margaret thought it would be nice to have a PowerPoint montage. Marilyn wanted to know if there is an archive of things. Sandy has the box with the historical pieces in it. John thought he might have a newsletter archive at his home. Carol will make a PDF version of the newsletter on the website. Secretary should print off a copy of the newsletter to keep copies of this. Sandy said that she has a statement, recommendation from ASI about keeping chapter archives. Maybe we should scan it and add it to our policies and procedures books. This was an idea Marilyn Augst stated. If we scan, it we could put it on the Yahoo Heartland chapter website. Margie said she would look for articles.
Kay Reglin asked that we include the city where the meeting was held as well as the attendees. Sandy said we need to house our records in a safe place. Margie –asked if ASI has archives? Meridith didn’t trust ASI to archive our records. If ASI does archive – secretary will look into chapter liaison to see if they keep chapter archives. This information should be on the website.
Marilyn heard rumors that we made a capital purchase. Meridith shared that we are now the proud owners of a projector. It can go with the Junior Co-president. If anyone wants to use it, just contact her.
The meeting concluded at 5:00 p.m.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.