Minutes of the Fall Meeting
of the Heartland Chapter of the American Society for Indexing
October 16, 2010
MCL Cafeteria, Richmond, IN
Members present: Marilyn Augst, Tanya Bomsta, Barbara Bushnell, Margaret Hentz, Sharon Hilgenberg, Susan Klefstad, Paula McCoy, Mary Peterson, Carol Reed, Cathy Seckman, Julie Stowers, Devon Thomas, and Sandra Topping. Speakers: Minta Berry and Cheryl Lenser. Guests: Joe Augustin, Darla Fields, Rebecca Mayne, Gerben Oosterbaan, Shelley Quattrocchi, and Cynthia Yenna
The meeting was called to order at 3:40 p.m.
Secretary’s Report: Minutes of the previous meeting were read and accepted on a motion by Tanya Bomsta and second by Sue Klefstad
Treasurer’s Report: Mary Peterson reported the interim financial statement (January 1, 2010 to October 16, 2010). The beginning balance for the period was $1,977.41. Total income for the period was $1,137.00. Total expenses were $765.11. The ending balance is $2,349.30. Sue Klefstad moved and Devon Thomas seconded that the report be accepted as read.
Co-President’s Report: Tanya Bomsta announced that we need volunteers to serve on a Nominating Committee for the next election. The Treasurer’s term is indeterminate. Sandy Topping volunteered to continue as Secretary. A junior Co-President is needed. Sue Klefstad and Devon Thomas volunteered to serve as Nominating Committee. Kathy Seckman suggested that e-mail voting works well and we might want to try it.
Co-President’s Report: Margaret Hentz discussed the Spring Meeting for 2011. Since the national Annual Meeting is April 28-30 in Providence, Rhode Island, April 16 and April 9 were suggested for our meeting. Because April 24 is Easter, an April 23 date was not considered feasible.
Paula McCoy will present the spring program on Taxonomies, Controlled Vocabularies, and how we index. Sharon Hilgenberg will bring chocolates and volunteered (if necessary) to present a program on indexing computer books. Also, a program on marketing thesaurus work was suggested.
Newsletter Report: Carol Reed plans to do another photo feature, something that reflects the indexer’s personality. She also requested article ideas. The newsletter will go out as soon as possible.
Webmaster’s Report: John Bealle was not present.
Institute of Certified Indexers: Cathy Seckman reviewed the Institute of Certified Indexers (ICI) Web site. Cathy has requested answers to some specific questions about ICI but, to date, has received no answers. Only what information is posted on the Web site is available.
Devon Thomas stated that the ASI membership has decided (after much heated discussion) that they don’t want to certify indexers because of liability and other issues. ICI proceeded independently with certification. This has been a very divisive issue. ICI members stated at one meeting that they were not putting themselves into competition with ASI.
Cathy Seckman read descriptions of the ICI certification process and of the qualifications required of a certified indexer. She noted that ICI will certify only 40 indexers per year. Costs for certification are: application fee, $60; testing fee, $500; retesting fees, $40 and $450; membership fee, $130 for 3 years.
The desirability of ICI certification was discussed: money is a major factor; the list of potential test subjects is very limited; tax deductibility of costs is unknown.
2011 Wilson Award: Margie Towery has stated that she wants to involve the Heartland Chapter in the pre-selection process. She was not in attendance at this meeting, so more information is yet to come.
E-voting: Devon Thomas reported that e-voting using Survey Monkey is available. Resource Center will verify membership for us and pass the results back to us. Previous users stated that it was easy to use. The setup takes longer, but there are no costs because Resource Center has an account with Survey Monkey. Members without e-mail accounts will get paper ballots. This should save time and costs. (Current costs for an election are about $100.) Sharon Hilgenberg moved that we try an election using Survey Monkey. Mary Peters seconded. The motion passed unanimously. The secretary will be responsible for setting this up with Resource Center. One member asked if we want candidate statements this year.
Sandra Topping moved and Devon Thomas seconded that we adjourn the meeting. Meeting adjourned.
Sandra C. Topping, Secretary